Grimwyrd: A lesson in thermobaric explosions

Ken (GM): fuck snow in all its forms
like, seriously, just so tired of snow
Joush M.: Yeah, it’s like 2 weeks to spring. If the weather could fuck itself that would be nice.
I’m sick of winter and I don’t even have to fight wendingo or maple syrup bandits in snow.
Ken (GM): lol; right now its just snow dumps. Bandits are out of work right now until summer.
a foot of snow overnight
and its warm enough its clumping; a huge bitch to shovel
Joush M.: Oh yeah, March snow is a mess. Not exactly dry powder season
P.P. A.: Here it snowed overnight, but most of it melted away over the course of the day
Ken (GM): Squinting GM eyes
-10 horse points
sooo where were we in this mess…
right! You guys trashed the umber hulks with volley fire and hate lazers, and then you triggered the undead wave under the river!
Horde of wall climbing skellies and a trio of giant ghouls
Joush M.: Yep. Clearly some foolish person shoudn’t have triggered that trap
Ken (GM): What an absolute madman!
Fiss: https://youtu.be/UfOKDqKXzS8
Ken (GM): hahahahahha
blind clicking on links
dear god
I am now awake again
Fiss: Hehe. Sorry for delay. Weinerdog poop was discovered.
Not happy
As opposed to the GOOD poop on the floor.
Like…I dunno…golden poop?
Ken (GM): weinerdog is a really weird nickname for your wife…
Fiss: Yes, Ken, it would be.
lol
Ken (GM): OKAY
BACK TO THE MADNESS
ARE YA READY KIDS?!
Syviis: Maaadness!
Joush M.: Ready!
P.P. A.: Time to protect these nerds so we can pass this bridge without triggering all traps here
Doc: eyy


Ken (GM) Your militia swells behind you, a line of elite pikemen and musketmen holding fast for their dwarven commander; at his order they will fire on the advancing giants! At the riverside, skeletons soaked in sinister slime clamber for combat with the mighty Gray! Syviis stands perched on the high ground, but ALAS has disarmed herself! Suðri guards the mystics and their hold on the magic trap-line! RODERICK! Command your army and grasp victory! Bomrek holds the line with the musketmen! “Hold fast! Aim for the face! Wait for my command!”

Ken (GM): Gary! You are faced with an undead company!
Gray, even!
Gray will hit one with a sword and kick another back down the steps
Ken (GM): remember, you just got chopped last round for -3 pain, and you have supreme blessing going for a bit
Joush M.: High Pain Threshold on Gray
Ken (GM): NICE
Gray rolls 3d6 vs 18 (14 base -2 for kick, +6 for Raven Blessing) to Push Kick
Ken (GM): lol
Gray: rolling 3d6 vs 18 (14 base -2 for kick, +6 for Raven Blessing) to Push Kick
( 3 + 2 + 5 ) = 10
Ken (GM): sorry, which skelly?
middle guy, gotcha
Joush M.: Middle lower row, back down the steps into the others
Ken (GM): rolling 3d6 vs 8 dodge ( 4 + 4 + 5 ) = 13
It fails to dodge! Boot to the chest!
Gray: rolling 2d6+6 ( 2 + 5 )+6 = 13
Joush M.: looks like he gets a free trip, flies 2 yards
Ken (GM): rolling 3d6 vs dx 10 ( 5 + 4 + 6 ) = 15
rolling 3d6 vs dx 10 ( 4 + 1 + 6 ) = 11
A jumble of bones!
Gray: rolling 3d6 vs 17 for Ogre Broadsword (17 base, +6 blessing, -6 deceptive attack (-3 to defend)) ( 3 + 2 + 4 ) = 9
Ken (GM): versus?
[Found it]
rolling 3d6 vs parry 10 broadsword ( 4 + 5 + 3 ) = 12
It fails to parry in time!
Gray: rolling 3d6+2 Cut, + Ghost Blade ( 1 + 4 + 2 )+2 = 9
Joush M.: 9 damage cutting, + any special effect from the use of the Ogre Blade on a skelly
Ken (GM) BOOSH the skeleton explodes in a burst of green fire as the blade rips into the plate of armor!
Gray roars as he kicks one skeleton down to the others, blood on the surcoat and the beastial Scorned fighting at the top of the steps, trying not to worry about the others facing the giants behind him.

Ken (GM): ROD!
DO THE THING
Doc: Has Gray been hit yet?
Joush M.: tis a scratch, 3 damage
Roderick Evaluates the giant in the back row as he steps closer
Doc: the one that looks least likely to take face full of muskets and pikes
Ken (GM): Gotcha; accumulating a+1 for your next melee!
Roderick: “Don’t die on us, Gray! Fall back if you must!”
Ken (GM): lulz
(To Roderick): The giant steps with mighty size, but care; it’s hollow blackened eyes are grim, but aware. There is an intelligence there, and dark magic

Skornbrekka!
P.P. A.: If I recall correctly, I was aiming last time/last turn
Ken (GM): yus; shooty tooty?
Suðri Skornbrekker shoots at the easternmost giant, at his vitals.
P.P. A.: SM?
Ken (GM): +3; ive added that as the blue HUD piece on each of em 🙂
P.P. A.: What blue HUD piece?
Suðri Skornbrekker: [13v20]
P.P. A.: >effective skill of 20
wew, 6 ACC sure is something
Doc: i mean the base skill of 17 doesn’t hurt
P.P. A.: :V
Ken (GM): rolling 3d6 vs dodge 9 ( 3 + 6 + 5 ) = 14
Ken (GM) the beam of heat slams into the creatures belly, right below the ribs

Suðri Skornbrekker ‘s face lights up for a split second, and the arc of light traces his aim. [24] Burn
Ken (GM): major wound!
P.P. A.: nice SFX!
Syviis: Dwarfpewpew!
Ken (GM): rolling 3d6 versus 10 HT (Fragile: exploding) ( 6 + 6 + 6 ) = 18

😀

Doc: fug
Ken (GM): :O
P.P. A.: I don’t think he’s gonna make it
Ken (GM): rolling 6d6 X 5 ( 4 + 5 + 6 + 1 + 4 + 6 ) = 26
so 130 Burn damage explosion
P.P. A.: w-what’s the radius
Ken (GM): *until damage runs out, ~13 hexes
you are 9 hexes away
Doc: fug :DDDDDDD
Ken (GM): would you like to dive away
P.P. A.: Sounds like a good idea.
Ken (GM): nods
Suðri Skornbrekker: “Get down!” [13v11]
P.P. A.: (Luck)
Suðri Skornbrekker: [8v11]
[4v11]
Ken (GM): NICE
P.P. A.: that was a worthwhile use of Luck
Ken (GM): Nice crit dodge!

(From Roderick): Thaumatology or something to know if they’re supposed to explode like that?
(To Roderick): Yep; the ghouls exploded every time Syviis shot them with her lightning bursts too. These are just HUGE versions, it appears

(To Roderick): Roll thaum for specific details, tho
Roderick: (To GM) rolling 3d6 vs 13(+1 for talent?) ( 4+3+3)= 10
(To Roderick): The power that animates the ghouls is a volatile thing and the bodies are prepared with alchemy and then inhabited with a spirit of rage. The explosions themselves are nonmagical, but will go off if the ghouls suffer a major wound from a burning/incindiary attack

P.P. A.: fug, I just remember
>enough TNT and redstone powder to blow up the bridge
P.P. A.: so that’s where it was hidden :DDDD
P.P. A.: Maybe the little ghouls in Academs blowing up was supposed to warn us


Ken (GM) rolling 3d6 vs 8 dodge ( 4 + 1 + 6 ) = 11
rolling 3d6 vs 8 dodge ( 1 + 6 + 2 ) = 9

Ken (GM) Suðri dives for cover, and flips over the edge of the bridge wall just as the fireball screams overtop him; chunks of stone and ghoulish giant raining down like a gristly black rain
The acolytes did not make it very far…. consumed by the fire

Doc: inb4 chain reaction

[At this point the GM deal ~130 Burning explosion damage to the next giant over in the line, triggering a HT roll versus a major wound on an explosive giant ghoul… -Ken]

Ken (GM): rolling 3d6 vs HT 10 (Fragile: explosion) ( 4 + 6 + 4 ) = 14
ruh roh
P.P. A.: (worry)
Ken (GM): hey rod, wanna dodge?
Joush M.: Goddamn, it turns out they DID wire the bridge to blow
P.P. A.: Must/can I dodge again? (I did a dive so I’m not sure if I can move, other than maybe roll sideways—but if I dodged behind some of the bridge, I should be sheltered still)
Ken (GM): @ppa; youve got cover from the eruption; a stone wall taller than you laying down; youre good
P.P. A.: ok
Joush M.: Full cover from bits of giant tibia now nailed into the stonework like bone sharpnel.
Roderick: rolling 3d6 vs 11( 2 + 5 + 4 ) = 11
Ken (GM): huzzah! Rod dives away and lays flat, greatly REDUCING the incoming damage by moving him away from it!
rolling 6d6 X 5 ( 2 + 6 + 4 + 1 + 6 + 3 ) = 22
so 110 Burn Explosive damage
Doc: Does the armor help
Ken (GM): divided by 12 hexes from the center is 9 burning, area vs Rod
yes! but it’s average body value
so 2~something, rounded down to 2
so 7 burning!
Doc: he’s got heavy plate for the torso and head and medium plate for everything else
Ken (GM): yeah, and exposed face, neck, etc… He isnt sealed
P.P. A.: PSA: Always wear a helmet and aventail, kids.

Doc: it should have face coverage
and the visor should be down
can’t remember what I had on the neck
Ken (GM): Light Brigandine on Upper Arms, Shoulders, Abdomen, Thighs
Medium Brigandine on Chest
Doc: yeah that’s when he’s wearing the brigandine
Ken (GM): ah bother, right
>two sets
right, lets call it 4 then across the body; you’re not sealed though so the fire is still doing it’s thing there
Doc: k
Ken (GM): so then thats 5 damage, wounds X1
no HT check for a wound, its under your threshold
and now BOMREK and the men need to dive!
rolling 3d6 vs 11 (dive away +3) ( 5 + 2 + 4 ) = 11
match!
Ken (GM): Rod, wanna roll for the 4 groups of men? Each should have a dodge of 8+3 (encumbrence and etc)
Roderick: rolling 3d6 vs 11 ( 4 + 4 + 2 ) = 10
rolling 3d6 vs 11 ( 5 + 4 + 3 ) = 12
rolling 3d6 vs 11 ( 4 + 4 + 3 ) = 11
Ken (GM): one more ?
Roderick: rolling 3d6 vs 11 ( 6 + 6 + 4 ) = 16
Ken (GM): Oo
P.P. A.: fug
Doc: uhh, can I use luck?
Ken (GM): you have unlucky musketmen
Doc: it’s not technically my dodge
Ken (GM): nope, sorry :/ thats a purchasable feature though
Doc: yeah just wasn’t sure if I could do it since I was the one who rolled
P.P. A.: I sure hope some of the mages in the back have healing spells

Suðri Skornbrekker will feel extremely guilty as soon as this rapid sequence of events has concluded

Ken (GM) the men dive as the second giant erupts; the musketmen seeming to trip in unison, scorched by the flames
Ken (GM) Bomrek leaps back, and is merely singed…

Ken (GM) the second burst of flame washes over the last giant
P.P. A.: The one time I hope our enemy passes his roll

Ken (GM) his flesh is charred and small patches burn, but it strides on without flinching through the inferno!

Suðri Skornbrekker: “No!!”

Ken (GM): Syviis!
Syviis frantically tries to repair her bow
(To Syviis): Your magic circle is obliterated; the alarm has sprung!
Syviis: [Armory roll?]
Ken (GM): Armory roll!
Syviis: rolling 3d6 ( 5 + 5 + 5 ) = 15
Nope.
Ken (GM): FUG
Ken (GM) You have a spare line, but the charred pieces of the old string tangle and it will take further moments and attempts to restring securely
(From Syviis): will run down the steps to join Gray next round…repairing the bow will take too long, and she’s certain the skeletons will have to chew on her aura
(To Syviis): noted

Ken (GM) A ring of fire swirls into view, astride the center of the bridge where the tripline was!

Ken (GM) the remaining giant bellows in a dry hissing scream, and charges for your men!
Ken (GM): [augh, JUST out of reach :P]

Ken (GM) The skeletons swarm the barracks! They clamber up the walls!
Joush M.: goddamn climbly skellies
Ken (GM): Two continue to harass Gray!
rolling 3d6 vs 12 Broadsword swing at torso ( 5 + 5 + 5 ) = 15
nope
rolling 3d6 vs 12 Broadsword swing at torso ( 6 + 5 + 5 ) = 16
NOPE
Ken (GM): fucking

Bomrek regains a knee, and bellows to the men “GET BACK ON YOUR POSITIONS YA GITS!”
Ken (GM) the men scramble to stand, in the face of the mighty giant ghoul

Ken (GM): Gray!
the skeletons are swarming around you, climbing impossibly on grasping clawed feet and hands to the walls and ramparts!
Joush M.: can I kick the one on the left into a climber?
Ken (GM): maybe!
there will be DX checks
get kickin!
Gray: rolling 3d6 vs 18 (14 base -2 for kick, +6 for Raven Blessing) to Push Kick ( 1 + 3 + 3 ) = 7
Joush M.: Cricitically kicked him?
Ken (GM): only on a 6 or less :/
BUT
rolling 3d6 vs dodge 8 ( 5 + 6 + 6 ) = 17
HAHAHA
Yeah, actually
thanks to his crit fail
Ken (GM): MAXIMUM KICK
Gray: rolling 2d6+6 ( 2 + 1 )+6 = 9
Ken (GM): nice 18!
Joush M.: Ha! Well that’s nearly 3 yards.. except he hits that other douchbag I think
Ken (GM): rolling 3d6 vs 8 [10-2 fuckery] ( 6 + 3 + 4 ) = 13
Ken (GM) the two skeletons go a tumbling
Ken (GM): second [Extra attack] hit?
Gray: rolling 3d6 vs 17 for Ogre Broadsword (17 base, +6 blessing, -6 deceptive attack (-3 to defend)) ( 4 + 3 + 6 ) = 13
Ken (GM): nice
rolling 3d6 vs parry 7 ( 4 + 1 + 1 ) = 6
:O
TING
Joush M.: any chance his sword is light enough to break parrying a 4.5lb weapon?
Ken (GM): >sad GM face
>3 pounds of decrepit steel
P.P. A.: We’ll acknowledge that he tried and did his best.
Joush M.: Doh! Twice the weight
Joush M.: Needed to avoid getting shrecked parrying Gray’s sword, that is.
Ken (GM): ?
oh fuck, right, SM+1 etc.
Ken (GM): rolling 3d6 vs 8 HT (old sword vs big magic sword) ( 1 + 5 + 3 ) = 9
SNAP
P.P. A.: I’d say “maybe next time!” but this guy is already dead so I don’t think he gets another try after this

Gray fights savagely at the steps, trying to keep the skeletons from swarming around him. A hard kick throws one into another as he fights with a third, distracted, the ogre blade carried off it’s path by the skeleton even as old steel breaks!

Ken (GM): Roderick! Youre on the ground, burnt and stinging!
Doc: am I also on fire
Doc: if so I’d like to extinguish myself while I’m here
Ken (GM): you are not also one fire, just scorched
though your cloak has seen better days…
Roderick pushes himself up off the ground to rejoin the fight
Ken (GM): he gets a knee, and sees the burning carnage around him
>Vietnam intensifies
Roderick has never been in this much pain before but he can still manage
Ken (GM): so crispy

Skornbrekker! you are on the ground behind the wall, the moans of dying scorned beside you…
Suðri Skornbrekker looks around—unharmed, but pale in his face.
P.P. A.: Can you do First Aid while lying down?
I guess it’d be better to get up first…
Ken (GM): if you can reach the theoretical wound, sure but whats the deal?
P.P. A.: Well, uh. Yeah, I don’t think he knows how to heal being overcooked
Doc: first step in combat medicine is to kill the bad guys

Suðri Skornbrekker curses in Dwarven as he gets up. “Hang in there! [Curses]; I’m sorry!” he worriedly speaks to the charred character dying next to him.
Ken (GM): Triage!

Syviis!

Syviis runs down to the ground floor, hoping to add her magical aura to Gray’s defense

Ken (GM) thump thump thump, stairs stairs stairs

Ken (GM) the bellowing giant slams into the men, diving headfirst into them!
It flails insanely
The Men attempt to hold the line!
Ken (GM): rolling 5d6 ( 4 + 1 + 4 + 1 + 6 ) = 16
rolling 3d6 vs 6 dodge ( 2 + 2 + 4 ) = 8
Ken (GM) the violence is horrifying

Ken (GM) the skeletons charge the ranks!
Ken (GM): GRAY!, two charge up the stairs swinging at ya!
Gray stands his ground and fights it out with the dead men
Ken (GM): rolling 3d6 vs 8 ( 2 + 4 + 6 ) = 12
rolling 3d6 vs 8 ( 1 + 3 + 4 ) = 8
one might hit!
Gray: rolling 3d6 vs 15 to parry ( 6 + 6 + 5 ) = 17
Ken (GM): :O
Joush M.: You got lucky this time, boneman!
Ken (GM): jesus
thats just a fail, as your parry is a 15 tho.
not a crit-fail
but dang
rolling 3d6 hit location ( 4 + 6 + 1 ) = 11
THE GROIN
THE CHICKY NUGGERS
THE MEAT SACK
rolling 2d6+1 cut ( 6 + 5 )+1 = 12
ooooooOOOOOOOOOO
FUUUUUUUUUCK

Doc: boned in the bone
Ken (GM): jesus fuck
Joush M.: Goddamn you boneman!
P.P. A.: Eleven again!
Ken (GM): good god
ajsdnfkajsdnf
Doc: rip
P.P. A.: Grey needs an angry dwarf face codpiece too

Ken (GM): whats…..the groin DR then?
Joush M.: 6 from the hauberk + hide DR
Ken (GM): huzzah
Joush M.: So 6 injury becomes 9 wounds
Ken (GM): only HALF chopped off

Ken (GM) the skeleton swings a wild underhanded swipe against gray’s nethers! He parries high! [for some reason?]
Gray roars in pain at the blow, the beastman almost staggering a moment. That’s going to take a while to regenerate
Ken (GM): waggly eyebrows

Bomrek slings his heat gun, and draws out his demolition-mace

the dwarven commander calls for his men! “FORM UP ON ME!”

Ken (GM) The pikemen what survived form a desperate line, pikes raised!

(To Syviis): Swirls of magic power radiate from the bridge; a gateway is forming back at the tripline!

Ken (GM): Gray! The nutless!
Gray beats the shit out of that skeleton

Gray: rolling 3d6 vs 17 for Ogre Broadsword (17 base, +6 blessing, -6 deceptive attack (-3 to defend)) ( 1 + 2 + 5 ) = 8
Ken (GM): he has no defense! you hit!
Gray shakes off the pain and ignores it for the moment, blood loss annoying but not enough to stop him as he cuts out with the huge sword
Gray: rolling 3d6+2 ( 6 + 1 + 2 )+2 = 11
Ken (GM): snicker snack
ones rattle to the ground and into the river!
Gray steps to the north and uses Extra Attack to try and kick the skeleton into another which is charging Roderick
Ken (GM): [so many kicks]
Gray: rolling 3d6 for push kick ( 4 + 5 + 5 ) = 14
Ken (GM): rolling 3d6 vs dodge 6 (side hex -2) ( 5 + 6 + 1 ) = 12
NOPE, damorge!
Gray: rolling 2d6+4 ( 6 + 2 )+4 = 12
Ken (GM): rolling 3d6 vs 10dx ( 2 + 5 + 6 ) = 13
rolling 3d6 vs 10dx ( 1 + 1 + 5 ) = 7
Ken (GM) the one goes flying, bouncing off a comrade, sprawling!

Ken (GM): ROD!
Roderick sends a gout of flame at the advancing skeletons as he stands and prepares to face them!
Roderick: rolling 3d6 vs 14 ( 4 + 1 + 6 ) = 11
rolling 4d6 burning ( 3 + 1 + 2 + 3 ) = 9

Ken (GM): nice, pointing more at the building to avoid Gray?
Doc: he should be far enough away that it won’t really matter
wanting to focus on getting the guys that are closest
so basically aiming directly at Gray tbh
Ken (GM): lulz
he’ll take, what, 2 burning?
Doc: 9/5, before DR, at that distance
Ken (GM): righto
Doc: so if that rounds down then he’ll just be uncomfortably warm
Joush M.: It’s one of those days

Ken (GM) skeletons burst into flames and boil to ashes, many in the back simply scorched. Gray is licked with flames, but it is barely comparable to his rage
Some of the earth is aflame…

Ken (GM): Skornbrekker! You’re on a knee!
P.P. A.: Hmm
Getting up would be a ready maneuver, right?
Ken (GM): youre currently in a crouch; take a step and youre standing
P.P. A.: oh ok
Suðri Skornbrekker gets up, takes two steps towards the skeleton, and swings his bardiche at it!
Ken (GM): HIYA
P.P. A.: M&A was -4?
Ken (GM): yeah, max skill 9, or you can all out for no attack penalties
P.P. A.: There’s more skellies coming so AOA seems unwise
Ken (GM): kk, max skill 9 it is!
Joush M.: You can do a Commited attack for an extra step[from Martial Arts] , that’s only -2 defense!
Ken (GM): oh baller, right
Joush M.: I think. MA is a big book with a lot of rules
P.P. A.: Oh, hm
Ken (GM): *Ill allow it
P.P. A.: all right— actually hell move one steop further so the bardiche won’t be off balance afterwards
Suðri Skornbrekker makes a committed attack! [12v16]+/- whatever modifiers
Ken (GM): nice; you unready yourself to close the gap, but swing true!
rolling 3d6 vs 8 dodge ( 4 + 4 + 1 ) = 9
And its even a hit!
Suðri Skornbrekker: rolling 2d6+1 ( 2 + 5 )+1 = 8 Cut
Ken (GM) the swing chops through the decrepit plate, and shatters the creature inside!

Ken (GM): Syviis!
Syviis jumps over the bits of claws and guts, and lands with a flourish next to a Skeleton.
Ken (GM)/Skeleton: HISS
Syviis pulls out her Elder Staff
Syviis: “Okay, that’s enough, little ones….BACK!”
Syviis: [BEGON THOT!]
Ken (GM): lulz
Syviis! Holy power?
Syviis: …yes.
Do I…need to roll?
lol
[I thought basically it was Skeletons: “OH SHIT, THE COPS ARE HERE”]
Ken (GM): Will + talent + holy(4) +staff (3) please
Syviis: So…vs 26
rolling 3d6 ( 2 + 1 + 6 ) = 9
Ken (GM): beat by 17 nice
Syviis: I’m Ok with that. 🙂

Ken (GM) Syviis bursts into a holy maelstrom of white lightning, channeled up and down her magic staff

Ken (GM): rolling 3d6 vs 20 (skelly necro power) ( 2 + 1 + 1 ) = 4
beat by…16
Joush M.: Dice are not with us today
Ken (GM): opposed check, so no crits there
just ‘bigger wins’
Ken (GM) Syviis invokes, and skeletons begin to BURST
Syviis frowns judgmentally at the Skeleton who tried to resist.

(To Syviis): 1FP per body; when do you wanna stop paying?
(To Syviis): all of the skellys, so 11 total
(To Syviis): any source too
(From Syviis): she’s almost full up. What’s the range?
Syviis: ./w gm She can soak it. She’ll be exausted, but she’ll do it…it’s that or fuck around with a bow-string for 4 turns.
Oops. Sorry.
Ken (GM): OH GAWD
Syviis: [whisper whisper]
Ken (GM): THE CURTAIN HAS BEEN PULLED BACK
P.P. A.: >She can soak it. She’ll be exausted, but she’ll do it…it’s that or fuck around with a bow-string for 4 turns.
P.P. A.: Yup, that sounds like an elf alright

Ken (GM) The skeletons burst, a chain reaction of holy power, and in the end Syviis looks wasted.
She crackles with power, but the skeletons are now all ash….

Syviis smiles…, then wobbles for a moment before having to lean against her staff and the wall.

Suðri Skornbrekker: “Roderick! I… —damn, the giant!”

Ken (GM) the giant turns now to Syviis, and screams again!
Ken (GM) it tramples over Bomrek on the way!
Syviis: “Bomrek! Watch out!”
Ken (GM): but it glances off (trampling less than his DR at this velocity)
Joush M.: Sadly not slowing him down, though I’d have imagined it would be like stepping on a lego

Bomrek charges after it, swinging the long mace at the thing’s leg!
Bomrek: rolling 3d6 vs 9 ( 3 + 6 + 5 ) = 14
NOPE

Ken (GM) the men form up; shouts of alarm from the greater mass of men at the calamity ahead!

Ken (GM) on the bridge, a hole in reality is forming in the air….
P.P. A.: Oh, right, the thing the [dead] acolytes were maintaining…

Ken (GM): Gray!
Gray moves up, shaking off pain and injury and saluting Syviss for her dispatch of the skeletons, going to confront the giant!

Ken (GM): Roderick! A charging giant for you sir!
Doc: which spaces/hexes is it taking up?
Ken (GM): ah
Doc: also do I know anything about whether impaling damage works on undead?
Ken (GM): yes, these things have organs; a step and reach 2 will let you hit torso vitals
Doc: gonna try for that, then
Roderick turns and charges fearlessly at the giant, gripping his longsword with both hands!
Roderick: rolling 3d6 vs 15 (-3 vitals +3 SM) ( 5 + 1 + 4 ) = 10
Ken (GM): nice
Ken (GM) the massive creature barrels forward, not missing a step to dodge; Roderick stabs deep!
Roderick: rolling d6+3 impaling ( 3 )+3 = 6 Imp
Ken (GM) the blade sinks in and black ephemeral stink gouts from the thing!
Ken (GM): 18 wounds!
Doc: (Rod is still ready to defend himself btw)

Ken(GM): Skornbrekka!
Suðri Skornbrekker: Hm
P.P. A.: I could run over and cut his leg, right?
Ken (GM): move and attack, extra effort for the extra hex, reach 2, yeah
P.P. A.: I have move 6, so I don’t need extra effort I think
Ken (GM): oh shi- right
then yeah, gonna be a swing against 9, but yeah
P.P. A.: anyway, gonna do just that
Suðri Skornbrekker runs over and swings at the left leg of the ghoulish giant!
Suðri Skornbrekker: [4v9]
P.P. A.: NOICE
Doc: wew
Ken (GM): hahaha
CRIT
3d for effect?
Suðri Skornbrekker: rolling 3d6 ( 5 + 1 + 2 ) = 8
Ken (GM): hmm, double shock, lame
SO ADD 4 FLAT DAMAGE BRO
and rolls it
Doc: >lame
hopefully
Ken (GM): waggly eyebrows

Suðri Skornbrekker ‘s blade slices through the giant’s fouling flesh! [14] Cut

Ken (GM) WHACK the blade swings through the meaty limb and hews bone like dry cordwood! The giant tumbles, twisting, and falls dead in a heap! Black magic seeping from it like a dust cloud….

Gray stomps out the nearby flames, trying to keep the dark magic, dust and ‘blood’ from touching any of the lingering embers.
Joush M.: Sorry, thought we had hit the end of combat, Wasn’t thinking in PORTALS
Ken (GM): POOOOORTALS

Ken (GM): Syviis!
Syviis: “We’d better do something about that portal!”
Syviis begins walking over to the bridge, using the staff as a walking stick almost
Ken (GM): LIMP LIMP
Syviis: [lol]
(From Syviis): she’s at 1FP, but she DOES have her mana-crystal

Bomrek: “What do you suspect, hellions? Devils? More ghouls?”

Suðri Skornbrekker: “[How do I treat burns?]” Suðri asks Bomrek in Dwarven, his voice shaky, and his eye turning to the two acolytes he meant to protect.

Ken (GM) the captain rounds up the men, forming a tight line facing the hell-hole

Syviis turns to Rod: “You might want to ask them to form two flanking groups…just in case literal hell comes streaming out”

Ken (GM) the hole in the universe widens, lensing light and flame from all around. The smokeless inferno shimmers and swirls and snuffs out!

Ken (GM) behind the flames, you find standing in the un-reality, Rolf, and Simon! The two mages from so many weeks ago!
They look…different

P.P. A.: Where did we leave them? I forgot.
Ken (GM): [they left abruptly when you went to face the elves in the Crumbling Keep. You suspect they went to investigate in the elven Anhaern, but it has been weeks.]
P.P. A.: Didn’t we reunite with them outside of the Allfather’s tomb and travel back together with them?
I know we told them to stay behind and watch our stuff before we went in
Ken (GM): [nah, they absconded after you got back, with the idea that they could help ‘more directly’]
P.P. A.: Oh, I see

Suðri Skornbrekker: “Rolf! —the other one!” he calls over, wary of their sudden appearance but his mind preoccupied.

Ken (GM): Gray!
Gray nods to the dead giant.. then turns to the portals, starting closer, flicking his wrist to limber up his sword arm. “Hail!”

Ken (GM) Rolf and Simon look haggard, and a bit worn. Their cloaks are torn, their posture is drooping and looming, and they seem smeared with red and black stains….Rolf has a wild look in his eyes

Ken (GM): Rod!
Roderick squares off with the new arrivals and analyzes them intently
(To Roderick): Occultism!
Roderick: (To GM) rolling 3d6 vs
14 ( 2 + 6 + 5 ) = 13
(To Roderick): Youre sure of it; they’ve been possessed by evil forces. The magic circles are full of symbols of hate in the old tongue of Gorgoth and invocations of the darkness. Their bodies are whole but the spirits behind them will be alien forces. The worst has come to pass for them.

Ken (GM) they do not wave back to Suðri, but his shouting catches their gaze; dark and intense
(From Roderick): Any chance of exorcism or are we just going to have to use lead and steel? or is this the zombie-mode thing again
(To Roderick): Worth a try, what with holy Syviis and gray’s ogre blade

Syviis squints, trying to gauge their auras
(To Syviis): Humans souls, shot through with big lines of black lightning coming from the gate. Straight up possession, you can taste it
(To Syviis): Simon is still a brilliant point of power, a mana focus and powerful channel of energy
Syviis: “I’m afraid our friends…are not quite themselves.”
“Something is possessing them”

Bomrek: strides up to Gray, hands tight on the doom hammer “Shall I dispossess them of their evil?”
Gray speaks in that deep, rumbling growl. “This is a task for me then. I’ll cast the Darkness out of them.”
Suðri Skornbrekker: “Wouldn’t be a first…,” He turns around to the troops. “Can anyone heal these two?”

Suðri Skornbrekker gestures towards the two acolytes who may or may not be dead, but he isn’t sure
P.P. A.: hard to tell if a blackened pile of toast is still alive or not
Ken (GM): [the acolytes sizzle, reduced to southern barbecue]
Suðri Skornbrekker looks and sounds distressed
Joush M.: Aww, poor Suðri. Survivor-guilt’s got him

Roderick: “Secure the area, first.” Roderick says coldly to the dwarf, focusing his attention on Rolf and Simon.

Rolf stretches a hand to Simon, and the younger man bows deep to the gesture. Black lightning crackles in the outstretched hand and licking black flames crawl over Simons skull, his hair disappearing like ashes.

Tendrils of something horrible begin climbing out of the hole from below Rolf

Syviis walks over to the bridge, staff in hand but otherwise not aggressively
Syviis: “The problem with your strategy is that you think using the good people’s of the land against us will weaken our resolve. In fact, the opposite is true.”
[peoples…fucking elves and their broken engrish]

Ken (GM) A crackled voice breaks out from Rolfs body, ragged and impressive, even from this distance.

IT SPEAKS THROUGH THEM

Gray advances at a jog, blood wet on the surcoat that covers his chain armor but the beast seeming unbothered by such thing. “Don’t cut flesh” He says to the blade, calling up more of the green fire on the old Gorgoth blade.

IT WILL HAVE THEIR FLESH AGAIN, ELUSIVE MORSELS
HEROIC MORTAL COILS
INDIVIDUALS THAT REQUIRE CONSUMPTION

Ken (GM) Gray’s blade is a glimmering green thing, lime fire glowing hot even in the sunny day. The bridge is a mess of debris, and as the beastman strides up he leaves a bloody mark behind him

Ken (GM) Syviis crackles with holy light, swirls of lightning twisting like the black tentacles coiled about Rolf

Syviis begins walking toward them along with Gray, but slowed by her earlier effort.
Syviis: [You move me as needed, Ken]
Ken (GM): 😉
[I keep forgetting to move the lightning cloud…]
Syviis: [half move, btw; I’m topped out at 3 thanks to FP penalties]

Ken (GM) Gray heads to face the possessed men, Syviis following to lend her energies

Ken (GM) the swirling black is caressing Rolf and Simon; you can see their bodies wracked with the possession, needles of the darkness pushing out and in from their flesh, a rictus grin of pain on their faces. Simon’s skull is bare, blasted with the lightning power drawn from him…

Precious moments pass

Syviis whispers a prayer as they walk towards the portal, asking for the darkness to yield, and let their friends come free…as they hope to do for the whole realm.

Syviis also pulls out her necklace and begins rubbing the crystal in her free hand

Gray charges in and slashes with that green blade at Rolf, driving it though any tendrils in the way as he growls like some wild beast. “Begone!”

Ken (GM): [exorcism from Gray, please, with +4 form the ogre blade, and +4 from Syviis’ holy power]
Gray: rolling 3d6 vs 21 ( 1 + 3 + 3 ) = 7
Syviis: [NICE]
Ken (GM): DUDE
friggin
Doc: noice
Ken (GM): rolling 3d6 vs 20 [IT’s manifested will] ( 4 + 2 + 6 ) = 12

Gray doesn’t end up using muscles for this, but rather obdurate will and courage like madness.
P.P. A.: Oooh 14 vs 8

Ken (GM) the blade swings true! The green flame passing through the men, and the blackness comes dragged along with it, burning bright!

Bewildered, rolf looks about in a dizzy panic, the gate behind trembling in response like another limb on his body.

IT SCREAMS FOR YOUR FLESH AND TWISTS IN THE AIR, BURNING IN A TERRIBLE MORTAL PAIN

(From Syviis): Gotta run, 5 min
(To Syviis): kk. Youre good at this point. Took the right route there what with the not -murder and the yes-exorcism

Gray follows The Darkness to the portal, slashing again, snarling, forcing himself closer. “We will teach you pain! We will teach you fear! By the light, we will teach you mortality!”

Ken (GM) the gate slinks closed, green fire burning down into that infinite hole, as Rolf staggers, drooping like a man run well past ‘ragged’ into ‘nearly dead’. Simon is a lump on the ground, smoldering

Ken (GM) POP and its gone

IT’S CRIES DISAPPEARING LIKE ECHOES OF HATE

Gray slams the sword into the stone where the portal vanished like he wasn’t done yet, the darkness around him gathering tight a moment then fading as Memory’s power finally leaves him, costing him considerable grace. Without the pounding adrenaline he feels the pain fatigue of the fight more sharply, but shakes it off and lifts the sword to roar with victory, loud enough for the dead to hear it.

Ken (GM) a cheer rises from the militia behind you; they’re quite astounded by this all, but seem in high spirits

Syviis smiles proudly…then sits about as gracefully as she can on the edge of passing out
Ken (GM): WHUMP
Syviis: [1 FP left, she ain’t dead yet! :P]
[gotta run folks, awesome session!]
Ken (GM): 😉

Roderick rushes forward to check if any of the wounded are still alive
P.P. A.: Exciting session!
It was… a blast
Ken (GM): [acolytes are crispy critters 😦 , Simon might be alive still]
>PUNS
Doc: how about the soldiers, any chance they’re still alive?
Joush M.: Good session! We didn’t die. But fuck, ouch.

Suðri Skornbrekker kneels down next to the acolytes to see if they still live, however barely—but is distraught to find that it is too late.
Suðri Skornbrekker quietly picks his rifle back up from where he dropped it, his hand shaking as he holds it.

Ken (GM): @doc: three of the good musketmen have been smeared by the giant ghoul; the rest of your men suffered some burns from the explosions
P.P. A.: I guess we did beat three giants and some 20-something skeleton warriors, right after two umber hulks burst out of a stone building
net morale is probably up, even with the losses
Doc: we basically stood like a rock against what seemed like an actual apocalypse
Ken (GM): especially with them participating in the umber kill #2
Doc: shit was exploding and there was blood everywhere
Ken (GM): was? IS
Doc: and the party is like “guess it’s time to stab things”
no most of the blood is on the ground now
it was everywhere

Gray leaves the living to the care of Roderick and the other healers and medics, turning his attention instead to carving a stone to mark the dead, a shrine to the cost of the battle then piling wood for a proper pyre for the dead.
Ken (GM): for someone vulnerable to fire, gray sure likes his pyres…
Joush M.: It’s acutely part of why he does it. Fire makes sure a beast like him is proper dead and won’t Come Back Wrong

P.P. A.: two giants exploded into even more giant fireballs, we didn’t hesitate a moment to cut down the third in close-range melee
Joush M.: That was pretty goddamn hardcore yeah. Slviss gassed out with ONE SHOT to burn the skellies
Doc: >gray surrounded 1v20
>figures “the other guys need our help more”
Ken (GM): lol
Doc: like “yeah I guess that’s about fair”

Suðri Skornbrekker takes a look at the bridge to see if it’s still structurally safe.

Bomrek takes a moment, puts a hand on Suðri’s shoulder, and they prod at the ruins of the bridge together
Ken (GM): [dorfy bros intensifies]

Suðri Skornbrekker will walk over and sit down next to Syviis if the bridge is safe, else carry her off of it.

Roderick removes his helmet as he checks the battlefield. He’s burned and breathing heavily, but there’s still fight left in his eyes

Suðri Skornbrekker this after having some Dwarven talk with Bomrek
Joush M.: Team Dwarf FTW
Ken (GM): such crispy men

Gray nods to Roderick as he claws into the stone the date and location, then the names of the men who died fighting for the light here. The characters are sharp, straight lines only leaving the carving looking somewhat barbaric and a touch ragged. “Well fought. I hope you can steal a few from the goddess of death still.”

Ken (GM): Rod; can you throw a little magic healing into Simon? The acolytes dont quite have the juju to save him, but you might
Joush M.: Right now we’ve got Simon ‘penciled in’ on the shrine.
Ken (GM): He’s only mostly dead!
Joush M.: Just makeing sure to leave room for his name, you know, if we need it

Roderick kneels down next to Simon and channels 4 FP of energy in an attempt to save him
Roderick: rolling 3d6 vs 14 ( 6 + 6 + 1 ) = 13
P.P. A.: Poor Simon doesn’t catch a break
well, now he does
Ken (GM): huzzah! plenty of time to spare as his charred skull bone seals over with new pink flesh

Simon ‘s eyes flutter open a moment, his body wrecked but healing now, a million tiny scars in every painful position possible on his body. Some of them even resemble swirls of writing as they ring his body… He wakes, and smiles weakly at Roderick
Simon: “We had a plan…” he says weakly “but I guess we can just do whatever you have lined up too…”

Ken (GM) the heat of the day is only just beginning; Hoddleton lies across the river, and from your vantage you see the collected lost men of the valley here. Volk’s men. The army…

Ken (GM) UNTIL NEXT WEEK


Joush M.: Woo! Thanks for the session man
P.P. A.: Thanks for the session!
Ken (GM): 😀 wish me luck, gonna go buy a SUV maybe…
4 xp ya gits
zomg

Advertisements

About KentonBlack

I'm an avid gamer, computer troubleshooter, and all around dashing fellow. I blog After Action Reports on my gaming, running as the GM for several GURPS 4e games
This entry was posted in #GrimWyrd, #GURPS, Chat dump, Game Log and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.