Grimwyrd: Impossible Elements

Ken (GM): alrighty ya silly gits…where was we.?
oh yeah, gunpoint diplomacy with a demon
P.P. A.: The best kind of diplomacy.
It’s very straightforward because the cards are on the table already


[Author’s Aside: You will notice today a lot more transparent rolling from the GM with descriptors on the rolls as they are being rolled by NPCs ; a bit of ‘in front of the screen’ rolling with the players was done this session, with the exact values rolled against not obfuscated.

It’s a bit jarring to see, but it becomes very apparent very quickly to affect “in-character-knowledge” and “out-of-character-knowledge” -Ken]


Gray stands at the end of the hall watching the daemon and knight, the beast of a man studying the creature thoughtfully as if he’s seen her before. Trying to tell if it’s the same one they fought in the ruined shrine in the South.

Suðri Skornbrekker glances at the snake-demon. The memories of Syviis at the brink of death arouse anger in him, but that must wait. He has made his ultimatum to the wizard-man—he lays down his armor, and they may leave; and a Dwarf stands by his word.

Ken (GM) The Marilith’s scales shimmer in the grey light of the portal; the swirling mists of the gate glow across the room, shining over the silver armor of the mage as well. His luminous blue cloak of mist clouding the details of his face, but not his unmistakable surprise at the demonic transformation of the elf. She coils, poised to strike in any of six ways, bulging with taught muscle and savage features

The Blue Wizard steps away from her, hands still raised, glancing back and forth between her and your group. He raises his voice, and shouts “I’m not with her!”

Suðri Skornbrekker: “Whatever…” Suðri grumbles. “Lay down your armor made of the Crystal’s silver!” he repeats his demand, “and you may go—or run, if you prefer.”

Gray: “Why the deception? Who is this man that you were concealing your nature from him?”

Suðri Skornbrekker had aimed for the Blue Wizard’s face, but now shifts his aim to the demon, which seems more prudent.

The Marilith turns, shifting in response to the dwarven guns, a massive scimitar poised to skewer the blue knight
P.P. A.: Now THIS is gunpoint diplomacy
“He was a means to an end” she hisses, her unnatural voice seeming to twist out of her like a cacophony of hissing snakes “The wizards of Greyhold are still required by Jadeite; as delicious as they may be”

Syviis scoffs at the Mexican Standoff, wondering if there are tacos in GURPS
Doc: >roll to check for doves

Gray: “Why aid the usurper?” His voice rough and deep, the beast watching as she holds the man at sword-point. “What are you attempting to do?”

The Marilith laughs, a weird clucking throaty noise: “You still can’t tell? We’re using him. Jadeite has no idea the power of Darkness he’s unleashed”

Suðri Skornbrekker: “How long as this been going on; and how did your people contact him before the war with the South? Through the dark Elves of Gorgoth?”
The Marilith’s grin spreads wide “Jadeite contacted US; he bartered souls and lives like they were endless, promised us a harvest that would stain the lands black and red…”
She shivers in apparent delight, grinning widely “But you, oh, you HEROES did the greatest work. You broke the Veil with the Ansible. Tossed it aside like nothing. Glorious CHAOS in your wake” The Marilith shudders, whipping her tail; she drools, excited

Suðri Skornbrekker grinds his teeth, a mix of anger and shame swirling inside him, but he tries to suppress his feelings and stay resolved. “I hope you will return Jadeite’s hospitality, then, when we send him to your realm soon.”
Gray: “You know we will put it right. The usurper will die and your kind will be banished.” Gray says in that rough voice, nodding to Suðri with that same grim resolve. “There’s a reckoning coming”
Roderick: “And on that note…” Roderick mutters, glancing at the dwarf with the musket.

[Bomrek’s player, Adolph, makes a rare appearance! Entering Stage Right as if on cue -Ken]

(To Bomrek): Youve had a gun trained on her for a few minutes of parley
(To Bomrek): Aim++ etc.

Suðri Skornbrekker glances over at the wizard. He returns his eyes and aim to the Marilith, and speaks: “It would seem your companion might have second thoughts about returning with you. To slay you here and now might be worth the sacrifice,” (he lies, for ’tis now how he feels), “but as we are all reasonable people, how about you retreat through the portal and leave the man here. That way, nobody here will have to die… today.”

The Marilith considers, tilting her head, weighing a mace over the blue wizard’s skull”But… glorious savagery is so delightful

Syviis: “How many of your eyes do you enjoy using, Marilith?” smiles. “Out of curiosity…”

The Marilith MOVES TO STRIKE!
INITIATIVE!
Syviis: rolling 1d6 + 7 ( 4 )+7 = 11
Roderick: rolling d6+6+1 ( 2 )+6+1 = 9
The Marilith: rolling 1d6+8 ( 3 )+8 = 11
Syviis: Tch…
Suðri Skornbrekker: rolling 1d6+6.25+1 ( 6 )+6.25+1 = 13.25
Bomrek: rolling 1d6+5.5+1 ( 4 )+5.5+1 = 10.5
Gray: rolling 1d6 + 7 for Initiative (Basic Speed 6, Combat Reflexes +1 or +2 if Leader) ( 5 )+7 = 12
rolling 3d6 vs 15 to resist Berserk (Battle Rage) ( 5 + 5 + 5 ) = 15

Ken (GM): Skornbrekker see’s the movement! Poised to strike!
P.P. A.: I think it’s fair to say that he’s been aiming at her for a few seconds now
Ken (GM): Yeah, minutes worth
P.P. A.: 22 hexes, lemme check… -7

Suðri Skornbrekker doesn’t hesitate, and pulls the trigger, gunning for her head! He knows not if that is enough to kill her, but it should at least give the wizard a moment to escape. [17v13]
P.P. A.: aand Luck
Ken (GM): yes please!
Suðri Skornbrekker: [15v13]
[ 5v13]
Ken (GM): ayyy
so 5?
P.P. A.: yep
Ken (GM): lol
The Marilith tries to dodge!
The Marilith: rolling 3d6 vs 10-2 ( 5 + 6 + 4 ) = 15
NOPE
CRIT HEADSHOT
Suðri Skornbrekker ‘s laserbeam hits its mark! [30] burning

The Marilith: :O

Syviis: [AC/DC’s Thunderstruck begins playing as ghostly bards rock out somewhere in the background]

The Marilith twists to strike, bucking as the beam lances at her face! BUT THE BLOW IMPOSSIBLY STRIKES TRUE
P.P. A.: RIP wizardguy, I tried
The Marilith: rolling 3d6 vs 14 HT for major wound ( 3 + 1 + 1 ) = 5
rolling 3d6 vs 14-5[headblow]+2 vs stun ( 2 + 2 + 2 ) = 6
Joush M.: That’s one tough snek
The Marilith is still poised to strike! WITH HER FACE BURNED OFF
P.P. A.: The Dice decided to balance my Luck with genuine luck

(From Syviis): thaumatology question before Syviss’ turn in combat. Would zapping the portal with a lightinan-arrow close it? Or is it unknown?
(To Syviis): The portal is a delicately balanced gate, easily disrupted by powerful magic. More than 5 magic-damage would pop it like a balloon!

Ken(GM): Gray!
Gray readies a harpoon and watches, but doesn’t charge down the hallway. Rage barely restrained, he doesn’t want to block anyone’s shot.
Ken (GM): crazy

The Marilith screams and writhes!
The Marilith: rolling 3d6 vs 16-4-7 [skull hit on mage, move and attack] ( 3 + 6 + 1 ) = 10
The Marilith slams the wall just over the blue wizard’s head, and barrels down the hallway towards you!
The Marilith: REEEEEEEEE
Gray watches the hideous figure come at them, impossibly still alive after the ruby light of the Dwarven weapon burned away the flesh to expose the skin underneath.
Doc: Gray’s shield is busted, right?
Joush M.: Yep, that’s right. Shield got trashed last battle

Ken (GM): Syviis!
Syviis frowns and fires twice, both at the Marilith
Syviis: 9 hexes away, what’s her size mod?
Ken (GM): +1
[in the blue popup now, FYI]
Syviis: Cool. First attack is going to be max lighting to the Vitals. Next will be an attempt at one of her eyes, same power.
Syviis: Target to hit is 18. rolling 3d6 ( 6 + 3 + 2 ) = 11
Ken (GM): nice
Syviis: Assuming it hits and she doesn’t snek-dodge: Damge is arrow + lightnin in sequence:
The Marilith: rolling 3d6 vs 10 dodge ( 5 + 3 + 1 ) = 9
Syviis: Ahh fuck
lol
The Marilith: dodged!
Syviis: Any chance the arrow keeps going and hits the portal? 😛
Kidding. Next one: TO THE EEYYYYEEEE
Adolf S.: ooh
Ken (GM): rolling 3d6 vs 9 portal hit? ( 1 + 3 + 6 ) = 10
nope
Syviis: Haha, np.
OK, EYEBALL ATTACK: Target is…uhm… (calculator) do I still get my aiming bonus?
Ken(GM): heroic archer gives you ACC, but only first attack gets the long aiming bonus
Syviis: Ahh, got it. Target drops to 9 then
rolling 3d6 ( 3 + 6 + 3 ) = 12
Nope
Ken (GM): rolling 3d6 vs 9 portal hit ( 6 + 4 + 1 ) = 11
also misses the portal
Syviis two massive blasts of power follow the arrows through the air, but it’s not enough to stem the tide of snek-lady
Bomrek: Her hair is ruined, at least.

Ken (GM): lol BOMREK
youre up! similar amount of aim time for you, mage gun loaded
Bomrek: Ayy, yee.
Alright, what’s the penalty for distance? and do I get a bonus to hit Mrs. Cobra Commander because of her size?
Syviis: -5 to hit due to distance +1 for her size, I believe
Ken (GM): yep. +6 for dorf-gun ACC, +6 for max aim on that
Bomrek: Nice, a net +5 for me from all this aiming then.
I think I’ll go vitals shot.
Oh, is it capped at +6? My memory’s gettin’ real foggy rules-wise. I need to do another refresher sometime soon.
Ken (GM): you can aim for +ACC, and then aim for seconds = to that for the same bonus again, total
Bomrek: Ah, well that’s quite a bit better then. What’s the penalty for snake-lady vitals, again?
Ken (GM): -3
Bomrek: rolling 3d6 ( 3 + 5 + 5 ) = 13
That’d be vs base 18, so, yup, that’s a success on my end.
Syviis: noice
The Marilith: rolling 3d6 vs [10] ( 1 + 1 + 1 ) = 3
Syviis: Ahh…fuck
lol
Bomrek: hah!
Joush M.: Snek ladies dodging.
>X-Com 2 flashbacks

The Marilith narrowly slips to the side as the beam blasts down the hall
Ken (GM): rolling 3d6 vs 9 portal hit ( 3 + 3 + 1 ) = 7
:O
DAMAGE ROLL!!!
Bomrek: “Snake women, why did it have to be snake women?” Bomrek grumbles low after his shot.
Ken (GM): rolling 6d6 ( 5 + 3 + 4 + 6 + 3 + 1 ) = 22 Burn

Ken (GM) the portal takes the beam of fiery magic dead center, and the portal GLOWS RED HOT TOO
Doc: oh no!
Ken (GM): OH YES!
(To Syviis): Your magic vision tells you: ITS GONNA BLOW. The portal is overloaded with power, and will critical-mass detonate!

Roderick!
Bomrek: Eesh, nothing that glows red is ever good.
Doc: how many weapons does she have
P.P. A.: As many as she does arms, minus the silver sword, I imagine?
Ken (GM): 6!
Doc: can I move, use fire, and then fast-draw?
Ken (GM): a mace, double headed dagger, a thrusting sword, a spear, a scimitar
oh, 5
yeeeeees
more than a step is a move and attack tho
Doc: right-o
Roderick moves to the middle of the hallway and casts FIRE
Ken (GM): its super effective!
roll to line that fucker up!
Roderick: rolling 3d6 vs 14 minus whatever ( 5 + 2 + 6 ) = 13
Ken (GM): lol
bulk, which seems to be zero for you
bang on!
The Marilith has nowhere to dodge an area attack!
The Marilith is washed with flames!
Roderick: rolling 4d6 ( 3 + 4 + 4 + 3 ) = 14 Burn
The Marilith: rolling 3d6 vs 14 HT ( 2 + 2 + 1 ) = 5
The Marilith screams! Her charred body, pitted with scorched flesh, crackles, blackened and smoking!
The Marilith still stands!
Roderick: rolling 3d6 vs 14 Fast-Draw ( 3 + 2 + 2 ) = 7

Ken (GM): Skornbrekka!
Suðri Skornbrekker swaps out his spent lasergun for his old conventional musket. He eyes the red glow of the portal with some concern.
P.P. A.: and that’s this turn
Roderick is standing ready with a sword in each hand
Ken (GM): fast drawn!
[ruh roh, BOTH swords?! ]
and musket swappage!
Gray!

Gray looks with some concern as Roderick steps past him into the hall, confronting the daemon that seems to drip flames and wicked ichor from her wounds… He readies to throw that heavy spear and draw his sword as the beastial shaman draws on the Raven spirit for help!
Gray: Raven’s Blessing (Free Action, +1d to DX for 3d6 seconds)
rolling 1d6 for +DX from Blessed (Heroic Feats) ( 3 ) = 3
rolling 3d6 for Duration of Blessed (Heroic Feats) ( 5 + 2 + 3 ) = 10
Ken (GM): Ten seconds of 3 DX!
Gray: rolling 3d6 for Fast Draw (Sword) vs 16 ( 6 + 3 + 1 ) = 10
Joush M.: Ogre Sword left hand, Harpoon right
Ken (GM): [harpoon and SWORD?!]
Gray throws the harpoon at the Malarith’s tail
Gray: rolling 3d6 vs 16 to Harpoon vs Tail ( 4 + 2 + 2 ) = 8
Ken (GM): GASP
Joush M.: Diden’t work in the range, called shot or size mod. I don’t think it’s worse then -8 though
Gray: rolling 1d6+10 IMP if Malarith fails to dodge ( 1 )+10 = 11 Imp
Ken (GM): yeah thats -6 or 7, so
The Marilith: rolling 3d6 vs 10 dodge ( 6 + 6 + 4 ) = 16
NOPE
lol

SHUNK

Syviis: noice!
The Marilith SCREAMS AGAIN
The Marilith: rolling 3d6 vs 14 HT ( 6 + 5 + 5 ) = 16

Gray growls as rope plays out across his hand, then he catches the cable as the heavy spear bites deep into the scaled hide, free hand holding that massive ogre sword.

The Marilith ‘s voice screams UP and UP and in the crescendo she POPS like a red ripe fruit

(To Syviis): its gonna blow, end of this turn!

Gray snarls in frustration as gore sprays the hallway, pulling the spear back with a pull at the rope. “Banished but not dead, I’m sure.”

Suðri Skornbrekker blinks.

Ken (GM): SYVIIS
Syviis: “Anyone who doesn’t want to be caught in an exploding portal should take cover NOW!”
Suðri Skornbrekker: “Sir Wizard, you might want to get away from that portal!” he shouts.
Bomrek: “Damn! Get behind the walls!”
Ken (GM): Bomrek!
Bomrek ‘ll take the Elf’s advice and skedaddle’ over to the left.
That’s my turn.

Ken (GM): Roderick!
Roderick runs for cover
Ken (GM): sanity!

Ken (GM) on initiative count zero…

Ken (GM) THE PORTAL EXPLODES IN A PLUME OF RED ENERGY

Suðri Skornbrekker dive-dodges to the right, if need be.

Gray misses his shield about now
[GM begins measuring distances, ominously]
P.P. A.: Looks like need is.
Ken (GM): DIVE DODGE MIGHT SAVE YOU!
Doc: F
Suðri Skornbrekker: [14v8]+the bonus for diving
Ken (GM): 😮
P.P. A.: But, as it were, it has been an hour since I used Luck
Ken (GM): its +3!
BETTER FRIGGIN ROLL IT
vs 11!
Suðri Skornbrekker: [13v11]
[13v11]
Gray: rolling 3d6 vs 12 to dodge and drop to cover ( 5 + 5 + 2 ) = 12
P.P. A.: It was not meant to be.
Doc: fug :DDDD
Ken (GM): 😮
Suðri Skornbrekker ungracefully stumbles over his bardiche+musket setup in his attempt to dodge the blast of magic.
Ken (GM): average DR on Suðri looks like 3-ish for an area effect
distance is… 30 from point of origin
rolling 10d6 ( 4 + 2 + 3 + 5 + 3 + 3 + 5 + 5 + 5 + 4 ) = 39 Burn Ex
woo!
Joush M.: Oouch
Ken (GM): doing math… 2 damage!
P.P. A.: Phew.
Ken (GM): (I just like throwing a lot of dice around :P)
P.P. A.: 39 would have been -2xHP :DDDD
Doc: I about shit myself

Suðri Skornbrekker staggers, not very badly injured but a bit terrified. As he regains his composure, he hastily puts out the little flames on his beard.

Ken (GM) the void in the wall up ahead now smokes with the residue of the blast… and you hear an odd susurrus… like air whistling over a vast canyon expanse…

Bomrek stops himself from falling over from the last few steps of his short sprint, and checks himself over. Finding that he isn’t wounded, he assesses the others. “What in the nine hells was that? Did we accidentally drop a match in the AllFather’s powder room?”
P.P. A.: >RIP wizardguy
Suðri Skornbrekker: “I reckon… Dwarven light-beams and demonic portals are an ill match.”

Syviis coughs in the dusted air, looking up to see the magical plumes shifting and fading
(To Syviis): Theres… nothing there. As in it is a void of magic. A black hole
Syviis walks over to check

Gray gathers himself, rising to his feet and dusting himself off as he considers a moment. “Or a good match used with forethought next time. Remember that… if we could exploit it later”

Roderick quickly glances around to see that everyone is alright, then peeks around the corner to see that the same cannot be said of the wizard
(To Roderick): The portal…its not there anymore…and theres a void of magic left in it’s wake… A hole into nothingness…
Syviis: “The portal is gone…but… so is the magic.”
Syviis peers down the hall
Syviis: “Like before…another void.”

IT GROWLS IN THE DARK

Bomrek coughs a few times, and takes several deep, long breaths. “Careful Elf, your kind aren’t used to the rigors of underground miasmas.. Be sure your lungs can take the air after a fiery blast like tha-” Bomrek stops mid-word at the noise.

Suðri Skornbrekker was looking over to the Wizard, but now turns to his left, to the Crystal, worried.
Gray: “Let’s see what that sound is.” He says thoughtfully as he gathers himself, looking to the others, nodding as he sees Suðri has suffered little from getting caught in the edge. “We should seal the breach if we can.”

IT COMES

Suðri Skornbrekker stops looking around and quickly reloads his laser musket if he has any red dust left, else mounts his conventional musket.

IT SLITHERS THROUGH THE CORNERS OF THE UNIVERSE. THE DARKNESS PRESSES ON YOUR REALITY. YOU FEEL THE PRESSURE

Suðri Skornbrekker doesn’t think his conventional musket will do here.
Ken (GM): [red dust is available, magic musket a go!]
Suðri Skornbrekker mounts it!

Syviis: “I suspect this might be what the demon spoke of… these portals might be Jadeite’s useful tool, but they are growing from something much more sinister and dark.” Syviis steadies herself and calls upon her righteous anger [Holy Power Investiture] in the face of the dark void

Gray snarls as he looks down the hall, looking at the tendrils pressing at the dark. “Reckless magic, running out of the control of an ambitious fool.”

Ken (GM) Ahead, in the room beyond, the VOID grows, pressing on our world like a river overflowing its banks, ichor and emptiness lapping at our reality’s shores

Ken (GM) the portal yawns, like some great gulf of sadness, darker emptiness than you’ve ever seen…

Gray: “What could we do to close that!?” He ask in frustration and anger.
Bomrek: “Shooting my enemies generally solves my problems. ‘Not sure how much it’ll help here.”
(To Roderick): Youre wizard teachings [Thaumatology] tell you; break the gate. The material device links the immaterial plane to your world
(From Roderick): anything to do with the dwarven superweapon in the other room?
(To Roderick): No, the portal itself has a construction in the far room. It is separate from the bindings of quicksilver

Suðri Skornbrekker glances over to the Crystal next door again, both worried about whether it has been affected by all this, and looking for ideas for how to deal with the problem at hand.
(To Suðri Skornbrekker): Your armor is worried

Syviis takes a few steps closer, trying to get a feel on the mechanics of this new gaping maw into the dark.

Ken (GM) the whispering draft draws stronger, dust billowing up from the floor, smoke disappearing into he wind. The void pulls… Syviis’ beams of electric holiness bending forward, down the hall, drawn like flames in a backdraft of evil

Syviis turns to the Dwarves

Syviis: “What was that you said about underground backdrafts following an explosion?”

Suðri Skornbrekker hesitates, but decides to run for the Crystal again to see what’s up. He trusts Bomrek’s marksmanship to make up for his absence.
“That is a thing, yes,” he calls out, his mind elsewhere.
(To Suðri Skornbrekker): You commune with Quicksilver, and she screams immediately: DESTROY THE PORTAL! SEVER IT’S HOLD ON OUR MATERIAL WORLD!

IT SPEAKS

Bomrek holds his gaze with the Elf for a moment, and turns to look at Suthri, thoughtfully. “Magic works different than proper things like Rock and caves..” and trails off.

IT WILL JOIN WITH YOU AGAIN, FLESH THINGS

Roderick: “We need to destroy the gate, somehow!”

Suðri Skornbrekker reached the Crystal, and immediately turns back around: “Destroy the portal!” he shouts to the party. “Obvious in hindsight, but just break it!” He quickly runs back.

Bomrek takes mental stock of their red dust stores. [This stuff is explosive, but is it explosive enough?]

Gray: “Memory? Can you think of anything?”
Memory is called forth by Gray, and her inky form clings to his body as if caught in a gale-force wind. SHE SCREAMS IN TERROR!

Gray nods, though he seems dubious at that. “If you are sure. I’ll.. damn it, no! Memory!” He growls and unsummons the spirit to protect her very magic form
Memory: “CLOSE THE GATE!” she wails, pressing herself into Gray, clutching to his flesh like a liferaft!
Gray: “What do you need me to do?!” He bellows to Bomrek and
Suðri, as they plan the demolition.
Suðri Skornbrekker: “I’m not a magic person! I’d just try blowing it up again! You try the magic stuff!”

Syviis nods and loads an arrow, firing at the edge of the portal in hopes of finding purchase!
Syviis: 18’s to hit barring anything weird for targeting, Ken. Your call.

IT WILL FEAST ON THIS WORLD

Syviis: maximum light’nin
rolling 3d6 ( 5 + 1 + 3 ) = 9
Syviis pew-pews the gate

Ken (GM) Syviis’ bow THWIPs, and the arrow flies true; it sinks into the stone surface of the gate and lightning bursts!
Ken (GM): [hit! Damage fiss!]
Syviis: rolling 1d6 + 3 ( 6 )+3 = 9 Imp
rolling 4d6 ( 3 + 4 + 1 + 3 ) = 11 Burn
arrow’ed and lightan
Ken (GM): nice
Ken (GM) the bolt of magic and arrow leaves a scorch and crack on the rock face….
Suðri Skornbrekker props up his ancient rifle with his bardiche, aims for a second, and fires a laser at the supporting structure of the portal.
Ken (GM): BYEEEWWWWWW
Suðri Skornbrekker: [13v17]

Ken (GM) the beam fires, but BENDS in midair, disappearing into the void of darkness!
The magic blast failed to reach the gate!
P.P. A.: fug :DDD

(To Roderick): Thaumatology basics tell you; the magic energy is being grounded out into the magic void. Syviis’ blast only hit, likely, because it was tied to her entirely physical arrow

Bomrek takes cover behind the wall, still wary of magical explosions.

Gray snarls and considers, winds whipping and tearing “We do have one thing that would close it and bring the mountain down around us. I’m loathe to risk using it… How much gunpowder do we have left?!”
Adolf S.: I don’t think we have any meaningful amount of powder left, do we?
Suðri Skornbrekker quickly switches out his laser rifle for his ordinary musket, and tries again. Syviis’s arrow managed to hit, maybe a bullet will too—but will it do much damage?

Suðri Skornbrekker looks over to Grey and throws him all the gunpowder he has on him right now. A mere 15 shots worth. “Not much, I’m afraid.”

Roderick: “Gray, our swords”

Gray starts down the hall with a nod, drawing the ogre blade. “Let’s break this thing!”
Suðri Skornbrekker: “Wait!” Suðri Skornbrekker turns to Bomrek: “The piston hammers!”
Gray waits, nodding to Suðri. He’s in no eager mood to fight the portal hand to hand. “What about the piston?”
P.P. A.: We have the ancient Dwarven weapon-box with us, right?!
Suðri Skornbrekker: “They tear things down! Doors, walls, presumably portal supports.”
Suðri Skornbrekker rushes to the weapon-box, wherever it is!
Gray nods at the words, the beast seeming to understand now and staying here to keep an eye on the portal and any hungry thing that might escape the void
P.P. A.: IIRC it was floating somewhere close to us?
Suðri Skornbrekker: “Well, you can try your swords in the meantime.”
Roderick: “We need magic grounded in a physical form. If our blades can’t handle it, the weapon in the other room is likely our only other option.”
Ken (GM): [yes! the box is with you, sorry for lack of a token!]
[it floats about with you, should make sure to add this as a standard icon]

Suðri Skornbrekker reaches into the box and pulls out the two Ancient Dwarven Demolition Maces (Bomrek has the third(?), IIRC); he tosses one to Gray, and keeps the other.

(To Roderick): The dwarf maces are exactly what youre looking for!

Suðri Skornbrekker runs towards the portal.
P.P. A.: Do the rods have a charge of redstone dust in them? They’re still unused.
Ken (GM): [They are ready to go! Powered by an internal source]
P.P. A.: Oh right, they only need the dust charge for the wave thing anyway

Gray puts away the sword and takes the tool… then nodding, he advances on the portal. “Fuck it! Let’s do this!”

Ken (GM) the void calls to you! You feel warmth leave you as you run up to it’s grasping embrace! Standing next to the gate is like being perched on a precipice above your very existence, one short step from oblivion itself!

Ken (GM): WILL ROOOOLLL
Bomrek: oh god
Suðri Skornbrekker: [8v12]

Suðri Skornbrekker ignores the dread that fills him as he approaches the portal; he burns with zeal to seal away the evil—and to finally try out this ancient Dwarven gadget! “You take the other side!”

Ken (GM): But Gray!
YOUR WILL ROLL
Gray: rolling 3d6 vs 13 ( 4 + 4 + 6 ) = 14
Joush M.: I’m a idoit today.. damn it, missed, unless it’s vs fear
Ken (GM): ooooh
I will give that to you; this is definitely an applicable roll for fear!
Gray staggers up, barely moving leadened limbs!

Ken (GM) to the right, some sort of controls. Perched in their middle, is an orb of flesh pressing against invisible restraints….

IT SCREAMS IN RAGE AND FEAR

Gray growls with every leadend step to the pillar and holds the mace in massive hands, looking to Suori and nodding, then lifting the mace and swinging at the pillar. “Goddamn infernal machines!”
Ken (GM): [puns! NOW?! YOU ABSOLUTE MADMAN!]

Suðri Skornbrekker: “Just smash them against the pillars! If that doesn’t work, there’s another option!” Suðri instructs Gray as he readies the rod to swing—and smashes it against the pillar at the same time as Gray.

Ken (GM) the blows swing true! The stone of the pillars SHATTERS, billowing out in clouds of dust and rubble, like porcelain in a tornado!

Syviis: noice
Bomrek: Like throwing a spark plug against a window :ok_h

Ken (GM) the rush of the VOID disappears

Suðri Skornbrekker exhales, his hands shaking a little from both the adrenaline, and from the impact. He shouts triumphantly: “That felt good!”

Ken (GM) the press on your souls disappears

Gray coughs, then laughs. “Good plan.” The beast says as he stands there in the shattered ruins of the portal. Nodding in agreement at the young dwarf’s words.. that did feel good.

IT HISSES AND SPITS FROM THE PRISON OF THE CONSOLE

Gray turns to the controls, starting to lift the hammer again.

IT WILL SEE YOU ALL CONSUMED! DEFILED!
MADE WHOLE AND UNTO ITS OWN FLESH!

Syviis smiles wearily “I think it likes us…”

Gray lowers the hammer and turns away. “Rant as you will, fool. You’ve intruded on the wrong reality.”
P.P. A.: This is a good line.

Ken (GM) The Gate is destroyed, the ancient Dwarven construction shattered into non-function. The remaining rubble settles scattered about the floor and platform.
IT continues to squeal against your minds, but the hissing and boiling of the voice dims, like a candle guttering in a dark room. Soon, you cannot hear the voice at all. The oily stain on your minds recedes and fades like bad memory.
What remains is the dwarven forge around you, echoing the sounds of your movements, hollow and echoed. The fighting is done, the hiss of magical conflagration is gone. The ebb and thrum of the Quicksilver stone is all that remains. A warm pulse of power enveloping you

Gray walks back to the others, nodding to Suðri. “Good plan. Your courage was remarkable to carry it out… even following you, I could barely make myself walk into the room with the portal!”
Suðri Skornbrekker: “Hah, thanks.” He sits down on the stone pedestal, exhausted from all the action (and from the short-circuit earlier, still). “Bomrek already used his today, so I wanted to try it out too,” he jokes with a hearty laugh.

Bomrek: “By thunder, it was like a noisy, squawking bird, inside my head.” Bomrek rubs his ear and walks his way up toward the others, glancing down at the burnt up wizard as he passes it, before looking up toward the others. “Good job, you two. I thought you were running into Hell’s gaping mouth there for a few moments. Worried the last I’d see of you would be your turned backs.”

Gray examines the demoltion hammer before he nods to Bomrek. “You won’t be rid of me so easilly. Thanks.”
Suðri Skornbrekker: “We were running into Hell’s gaping mouth, but had the last laugh,” Suðri thumps his chest proudly.

Gray pulls up the mail sleeve above his glove and pets a tattoo on his arm reassuringly, chuckling at Suðri’s words. “We have denied them a powerful weapon today, banished one of their servants and reclaimed many of those blasted silver blades. This is a victory!”
Bomrek nods and looks back over his shoulder at the hallway, and the three sets of snake-blood-footprints leading into the room.
Suðri Skornbrekker: “Shame about the wizard; it sounded like they were drafted into Jadeite’s scheme without much of a choice.” He gets up and walks over to the scarred corpse. “…let us at least reunite his armor with its rightful owner.”
Bomrek: “Like shooting a tomato with a 30-bore. I’ve never seen such a large, and immediate, mess of a… what would you call that? An explosion?”
Gray: “I think we burst the flesh she’d crafted for herself here. It won’t be back immediately, at least.”

Ken (GM) the armor is still silver-bright, despite the dust and ash remains of the wizard corpse within…

Gray looks down at the body he’s standing over, then steps away distastefully. “Will your small goddess want these returned?”
Suðri Skornbrekker: “They are part of her, after all… Though I might clean them up a bit beforehand.” Suðri Skornbrekker bends down and carefully undoes the armor, trying not to disturb too much what little is left of the body within.
Ken (GM) the crisp body is like a dirt-crusted lump of meat. The armor seems to have magically escaped harm, and uncouples from the body easily.

Gray: “I’ll get to work preparing a pyre for the dead and say some words for them at least… There could still be danger here, so don’t let your guard down.”

Suðri Skornbrekker carefully dusts it off. He nods to Gray, stores the rods back in the weapon-box, and carries the armor over to Quicksilver.
P.P. A.: (whose name he still doesn’t know, so now would be a good time to copypaste what she told to Syviis)
Syviis: mmm, I don’t think she actually gave a name.
Ken (GM): Quicksilver
P.P. A.: o
Syviis: Cool
Ken (GM): Spirit of the Earth, capital S and E
Suðri Skornbrekker steps up to the crystal and presents the armor to her.
Ken (GM) The metal leaps to her, clings for a moment, then melts away disappearing down into her depths

Roderick walks over to investigate/guard the hallway they haven’t walked through yet
Ken (GM): @rod, whereabouts?
[Tokens on map shuffle]
Ken (GM): @rod; to the south, the caged lightning engine is dead now, after
Suðri grounded out the binding on Quicksilver.
To West and East has collapsed, stone falling in over the thaumatological machinery. The ruined remains are dead-cold, as if sucked of all power now

Syviis will look around, checking for magical remnants, but for the most part, she breaths slow and tries to regain some of her mental and physical reserve, having blown half of her fatigue in the one moment of attack vs the snek.
(To Syviis): Things to note; the portal gate was Dwarven in make, but the control box looked newer. A metal and stone thing, with oddly tuned powerstones and finely etched thaumatological circles all over it. It vaguely resembles the controls on the airship/Anisble mountain

Gray keeps himself busy going out to the mines and finding a place for a pyre, gathering up wood for it. With that done he goes to check on the other’s progress.
Ken (GM): [there is plenty of room for a burn-heap in the mines above; a few rooms with clearance and floor space to spare]

Bomrek busies himself with replacing the dwarven demolition maces in their travel box, patting it affectionately on top, like a dog. He then goes about reloading and checking weapons, like a good soldier

Suðri Skornbrekker sits down next to the crystal, taking stock of his weapons—he hasn’t had a chance to inspect them yet since the battle, and hopes the burst of magic portal-fire did them no harm.
Ken (GM): [the gun is fine, could use some polishing as its marred with soot smears. Everything else seems a bit singed but alright]
Suðri Skornbrekker quietly cleans his gun.

Joush M.: did Gray’s harpoon survive the fire, or is it roasted after snek burning?
Ken(GM): rolling 3d6 vs 12 ( 5 + 6 + 6 ) = 17
THE HARPOON HAS DIED!
:O
P.P. A.: F
Ken (GM): burned up in the channeled fire
dead shield, dead harpoon. Shit, we’re cutting limbs off ya!
Gray grumbles as he looks to the ruined weapon, then nods. It’s a bad day for his equipment, it seems… but there are worse things then finding some tools expended. Once the pyre is ready he gathers bodies and prepares them for respectful incineration.
Ken (GM): >lantern oil
>tinder
>fwoosh
Gray nods his head to the elven warlock, wrapped in a shroud on the pyre as he stands by. A few respectful words about returning them to the cycle, from ash and returned to it… but he stands by with the ogre blade ready in case any of the corpses decide to try and fight, or explode into another demonic horror.
(To Gray): You watch the pyre, ogre blade ready, and you watch the spirits of the dead released from their mortal coils; they wisp off to the realm of spirits, disappearing from your sight. Their faces are serene mirrors of their bodies, they smile at you with upturned eyes. Deloth Ainur is released with an unshackling of black tendrils unhooking from her spirit form.
You get the distinct feeling that was a good choice

Suðri Skornbrekker: “You know…” Suðri thinks aloud: “…though it would have probably been a bad idea, I wonder what would have happened if we had lobbed the Hellstorm Bomb into the open portal?”
Syviis: “I worry the darkness would have only consumed the bound elemental within.”
(To Roderick): Your magical teachings immediately give you an idea that, assuming the dwarves actually captured the elemental spirit of a volcano in a material form, you’d all have all been obliterated as the explosion rocked the surrounding countryside
Suðri Skornbrekker considers this, and frowns, disappointed. “Yea, perhaps…”
Roderick: “It would likely have destroyed everything for miles, including us. And the portal, ideally.”

Gray returns, the shamanic warden returns, somber but calm as he stretches slowly and puts the sword away. “The dead are gone now.” He assures the others.
Suðri Skornbrekker: “I pray they find peace in death.”
Bomrek: “They have anything useful on them?”
Gray shrugs. “Beyond the tools and weapons crafted from the crystal goddess? Not that I saw”
(To Gray): Yeah, nothing but some leather fetish-y clothing and not much else; they came looking for a fight and nothing more
Gray: “Harnesses crafted from leather. Some brightwork. Nothing worthwhile to claim.”

Ken (GM): [so, the foundry is cleared out, whats the next move?
Joush M.: Hmm… Can they even move the bomb safely? We should leave a security detail here when we move out.
Ken (GM): I can only imagine the spiel to those guys
>”Whatever you do, don’t talk to the bound elemental spirit of the earth, and definitely don’t touch the hellfire capable bomb of ultimate dwarven destruction in the corner”
Joush M.: “This place is full of things that can and will kill you in terrible ways. Don’t let anybody in; Don’t go in either.”

P.P. A.: Since we as the players already know the stuff about Quicksilver from that thread, should we hand-wave that Syviis told us everything?
Otherwise, now’d be the chance for the dwarves to be initiated directly
Ken (GM): yeah, no worries; I got the okay for that from Fiss

[the party speaks for a time on the nature of Quicksilver, and how she is the bound spirit of the earth, serving the nefarious source of power for the Silver Swords. She has empowered Syviis, Suðri, and Bomrek with the ability to detect the nearest one, so they might seek them out and return them to her body.]

Ken (GM): once restored whole, she can be released safely, without harm to all life as we know it
[GM is no longer guilty of plot via whispers!]

Suðri Skornbrekker is humbled by the revelation and the importance of the Crystal spirit, (which he originally thought was just a larger version of the one that inhabit Bomrek and him) he apologizes for his not-respectful-enough behavior, and his anger at the demons’ doing yet swells.

Gray: “That should lead us to the usurper’s servants. Good”
Ken (GM): the most recent detection, before the wizards fight, was the use of one for some sort of evil butchery in the town of Academ, proper
Suðri Skornbrekker looks over his weapons one last time, and packs up. “We know where to go; let us not linger longer than necessary.” Suðri looks at the blood, ashes, gore, and unnatural strains all around, and shakes his head. The words of the Meredith weigh on him; the party isn’t faultless in this whole situation, after all.


Ken (GM): hahah Maralith->Meredith is the best autocorrect ever
P.P. A.: oops, typo
Joush M.: She has a name now!
P.P. A.: (how dare you imply I use phones with autocorrect!)
(I just cant be arsed to scroll up :P)


Gray walks to the chest and lifts up. Holding it under a massive arm carefully, respectful of the dwarven ark full of weapons. “There are other treasures here. I suppose we shall leave them for now.”
Syviis: “Obscurity will serve them best; we should tell little to anyone beyond the guard, and that will secure them for a time”
Gray: “Hopefully Bomrek won’t be too upset to leave the rug”
Bomrek: “Bah; I have a claim here alongside Suðri. We will have it as a winter-home soon enough. Just gotta wash out the evil stink in here….and the magic…and the blood”

Suðri Skornbrekker nods in agreement with Bomrek, and heads out.


Ken (GM) You leave the dwarven forge in the dark behind you, climbing back up the mine itself, past the pyre of burned wizards and Deloth-Ainur’s cinders.

Ken (GM) Once free of the darkness of the mine, the world outside is staggeringly bright for a while. The entrance to the hole in the earth below crowded with the buildings of the gatehouse. Here, the odd crystalline growths are gone! The vines of magic weirdness seemingly retreated into the stone. A gaping hole seems to have collapsed on itself in the wall, with the sheen of glittery something gone from the dirt and walls…

Ken (GM) The ruined remains of the buildings are quiet here, and outside, your steeds are restless. They have watered at a gully nearby and fed on grass, but they are uneasy.

Ken (GM): Your view of the lowlands is commanding, and you see the city from here; the town still glimmers with that odd shimmering light, but it is lit with green and amber as well! Clouds mar the sky now, black and fat, pouring rain in a sheet below. The unnatural bank of rain coming out of the North, a chill wind on the air. Green lightning dances in the clouds, leaping here and there like something alive!

Ken (GM) the town below is a chaos of fires and a bedlam of noise, echoing up here; your men on the road, gathered like a dark spot, some distance from the town, safely on the highway and huddled together

(From Doc): thaumatology to get an idea beyond “this is bad?”
(To Doc): yes please!
Roderick: (To GM) rolling 3d6 vs 13 ( 3 + 1 + 6 ) = 10
(To Roderick): The lightning you recognize; there was a storm elemental fended off by Syviis, same make and model. It looks to be conjuring the bad weather in your path. And if so, that means it’s likely tied to some dark wizard who is controlling it. Break his binding and its not an issue. Or kill the elemental, but that can be a bit harder to do

Suðri Skornbrekker darkly overlooks the scenery. Wordlessly, he climbs his steed.

Gray stalks out into the day and breathes deep. Catching his breath then turning to the eerie, eldritch storm coming for them. Scowling at the emerald lightning. “We should find shelter for us and the men. That isn’t a storm we want to travel in.”
Suðri Skornbrekker nods, his eyes glazing over as he tries to make out the carnage in Academ—till he averts them, looking instead toward their army.
Roderick: “That storm is being controlled by our enemy, can any of you sense a silver sword?”
Suðri Skornbrekker: “Let me try.” The crystal-clad Dwarf focuses inward, and attempts to establish a connection.
P.P. A.: (do I need to roll anything?)
(To Suðri Skornbrekker): The power slides out to the countryside, and you have a vision of your sight travelling fast as the wind, straight into the maelstrom; In the town square is a man covered in scars and tattoos of red. He holds a silver sword to a profane altar, butchering a hapless victim who is little more than meat now. The blood and magic boils up into the sky. He is surrounded by green lightning and fire….
Ken (GM): Bomrek and Syviis exchange a weary glance with Suðri
Suðri Skornbrekker spaces out for a moment, then looks really pissed. “The eye of the storm beckons” he somberly proclaims as he grits his teeth.
Bomrek :”Dark wizards. Why do men always seem to become dark wizards?


Ken (GM): Well then, this looks like a good place to halt for the day, I think. You get your army dug in and safely stowed out of the storm, and venture in ….next week!
Joush M.: Sounds good. Thanks for the game. Goddamn snek-ladies always dodging shit
P.P. A.: Quite intense today, what with two ticking time-bombs and a hostage (RIP)
Ken (GM): man, she only had a dodge of 10
Joush M.: Ha, it’s just a matter of perception I think
Ken (GM): true; once she failed, BAM massive damage
then she clinches two HT checks in a row
to be impaled on a harpoon
so it all evens out I guess
but! take 4 XP, the each of you!
Joush M.: Thanks.
Ken (GM): and for gods sake, level up Suthri!
PPA, youve gotta have like 50 points by now
P.P. A.: I do now! (52 to be exact; I have an idea what to do with them but I wanted to save up 50 for that first)
Thanks for the session, and till next week
Ken (GM): hahahah
jesus
just…I dunno, PM me? we can brainstorm
Doc: >needed to save up 50 points
oh dog
P.P. A.: Aye, I’ll hit you up tomorrow
Joush M.: Just put every point into HT. Built Dwarf Tough
Doc: yes

Advertisements

About KentonBlack

I'm an avid gamer, computer troubleshooter, and all around dashing fellow. I blog After Action Reports on my gaming, running as the GM for several GURPS 4e games
This entry was posted in #GrimWyrd, #GURPS, Chat dump, Game Log and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to Grimwyrd: Impossible Elements

  1. Pingback: ValenGURPSDay: GURPSDay Summary Feb 8, 2019 – Feb 14, 2019 - Gaming Ballistic

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.